Make sure you set S.M.A.R.T. goals for your chosen activities by answering the following questions:
- Specific - Your goal should be as specific as possible and answer the questions: What is your goal? How often or how much? Where will it take place?
- Measurable - How will you measure your goal? Measurement will give you specific feedback and hold you accountable
- Attainable - Goals should push you, but it is important that they are achievable. Are your goals attainable?
- Realistic - Is your goal and timeframe realistic for the goal you established?
- Timely - Do you have a timeframe listed in your SMART goal? This helps you be accountable and helps in motivation.
Physical Recreation Section:
- Swimming - I have been swimming sicne I was eight years old, but I only started to swim competitively and seriously when I was eleven. My best stroke is backstroke and my best distance is 100 metres. I have been working to swim this race in as little amount of time possible, and my best time is 1:12:75. My goal now is to swim it in under 1:10:00. This will be challenging, however I train four times a week at the moment, so with consistent training it will be possible. I will log my improvements and training in the log every week, and I will reflect on the competitions I take part in.
- Running - Over the course of 26 weeks, I aim to improve my running ability through practice and through the use of the internet. I aim to be able to run 7.5km in one hour by the end of the 26 week time period.
- Football - My aim is to improve my own footballing ability, especially my attacking play including my passing and shooting ability, and also become fitter in the process, and I aim to achieve this by April 2016. In order to achieve this I will partake football training once every week.
- Ballet - For the next 3 months I will be attending ballter classes once a week for one hour. I aim to improve my ballet skills and take the Grade 3 exams in June 2017 and aim to get at least merit.
- Tennis - I will participate in the Pancyprian U-16 tennis tournament in April 2017 and I will therefore practice twice a week for the next 6 months for 2 hours. I aim to reach at least the quarter finals of the competition.
- Yoga - To learn at least 15 asanas (poses) and to be able to do 35 surya namaskars (sun salutations) at the end of 6 months. I will set a time once a week to practice yoga, for at least 1 hour a week.
- Netball - To be selected for the 'Long List' for the U17 European Championships and to be able to pass over 100 chest passes in one minute. I will be attending my weekly Wednesday's netball trainings.
Voluntary Service Section:
- Tutoring / help to others - I aim to help the Year 1s feel comfortable with their transition from primary school to secondary school. When I entered secondary school I felt scared and lost when it came to making new friends, adjusting to the new standards of work, and more. Therefore, I know how the current Year 1s feel as I was once in their shoes, and would like to let them know that if they ever need someone to talk to, I will be there for them.
- Mentoring / Coaching - My aim is to help the under-8's improve their footballing ability, including teamwork, attacking and defending and to build relationships with the young children playing at the club by March 2016. In order to do this I will attend the club and work with the kids once every week.
- Environmental / Working a Clean-up Campaign - My goal is to improve the overall appearance of my area, starting on November 4th 2015. I will do so by aiding the staff who work at my compound. The goal for this is to work towards making the area a cleaner place to live in and, more importantly, to realise that it falls under the responsibility of myself to take action. By April 2016 my area will be noticeably cleaner and presentable.
- Caring for animals - For the next 6 months I will be volunteering at 'Animal Aid' shelter. This will involve taking care of the dogs currently staying at the shelter; walking, feeding and cleaning them. My aim is to help them take care of the stray dogs effectively in order for the shelter to keep up with the high demands during the difficult winter months.
- Help to others - For the next 3 months I will be helping a mother meet the requirements of her treatment and reintegration programme at Ayia Skepi Drug Rehabilitation Centre, by tutornig and babysitting her daugter who is six years old. I will spend 2 hours a week with the child and aim to make the time as constructive and entertaining so that the mother can concentrate on her sessions
- Cooking - I want to be able to cook 11 different meals from Spain, Norway, Morocco, America, Scotland, Japan, Italy, France, India, Mexico and Greece, so I can appreciate the international environment I am in. For every meal, I will choose a different, traditional dish to cook, from a country that is not my own. I will give evidence through pictures and a recipe of each meal on my Instagram account and will reflect on how it went in the log.
- Piano - I aim currently pursuing my Grade 8 Piano exam. My goal is to pass it with a distinction. I have already completed Grades 1-7 and I am now preparing for the final one. I have passed most of them with distinction adn the others with a merit. I have been playing the piano for 10 years and I hope to attain my goal. Additionally, learning the piano will enable me to excel in my GCSE Music course, which will help me obtain the highest grades possible.
- Language - Over the course of the 26 weeks, I aim to improve my ability in Italian. I, with the use of the internet, aim to go from having no knowledge of Italian at all to being able to read and write a small amount of Italian that a native Italian speaker can understand. I aim to be able to produce a short essay about myself, in Italian, that can be understood by my assessor, who is a native Italian speaker.
- Hobbies - My aim is to improve my mechanic skills and to be able to fully clean an engine and put it back together by March 2016. I will achieve this by learning new skills and practicing these skills once every week.
- Guitar - I would like to continue playing guitar, and achieve a high distinction in my grade 4 exam, which is in May 2016. I also need to be confident in playing the C minor chord which is common in one ofmy chosen songs, as well as in my theory work.
Adventurous Journey Section:
- Generic for all - The AJ objective should be a journey with a purpose - such as studying the impact of humans on the environment or noting types of fauna and flora, rather than just completing it as per the requirements of the section itself (completing the journey as a team and using map reading skills and so on).