English Syllabus - Year 1 Entry
Programme of study:
- Have read a range of materials and ‘use their knowledge of words, sentences and texts to understand and respond to the meaning.’
- Increase their ability to read challenging and lengthy texts independently.
- Make connections between different parts of the texts, look for meaning beyond the literal and be able to use inference and deduction e.g. how stories begin and end, what has been included/omitted in information writing.
- Recognize the choice, use and effect of figurative language and vocabulary; be able to identify how character and setting are used, and consider poetic forms and their effect and recognize the differences between author, narrator and character.
- Identify different ways of constructing sentences and their effect.
- Use features of layout, presentation and organization effectively. They should know how to plan, draft, revise, proofread, present and discuss.
- Be able to imagine and explore feelings and ideas, to inform and explain, to persuade focusing on how language is used and on how to interest the reader. Choose form and content to suit a particular purpose. Use language and style that are appropriate to the reader.
- Identify a range of forms of writing which should include: narratives, poems, opinions, reviews, reports, journalistic writing and auto/biography.
- Have good understanding of nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, pronouns, prepositions, conjunctions, articles.
- Be able to recognize and use different types of sentences including statements, questions and commands, complex sentences, including clauses, phrases and connectives.
- Have good understanding of the purposes of paragraphs and punctuation, including commas, apostrophes for contractions and possession.
Range of writing
- Book Blurbs
- Journalistic writing
The level of the paper is based on the Keystage 2 standards for Literacy in the UK.
You can refer to the following website:
2011: Native/Near-Native Exam
2011: Non-Native Exam
2012: Native/Near-Native Exam
2012: Non-Native Exam
2013: Native/Near-Native Exam
2013: Non-Native Exam
2013 English Diagnostic
2014 Non-Native English Speakers
2014 Native English Speakers
2014 English Diagnostic test_cover sheet
2014 English Diagnostic test 2
2015 English Diagnostic test
2015 English non-native Exam
2015 Engilsh native speakers Exam
2016 English native speakers exam
2016 English non-native exam